Thursday, June 28, 2012

Makeup Magnet Frame

Awhile back I found this really great idea on Pinterest to make a magnetic board for my makeup.  (See the orginial idea here.)  I made my own version using a leftover frame I had lying around from a previous craft project.  

What you will need:

  • Picture frame large enough to hold your makeup--I laid out my makeup on top of the frame to see how it would fit.  Choose a larger frame if your makeup won't fit, or only choose the makeup you use on a daily basis to add to your frame.
  • Sheet metal--Any thickness will do.  I used a thin sheet I found at a home improvement store and cut it down to size using tin snips.
  • Tin Snips or Metal Sheers--you can find this at a home improvement store.
  • Fabric--I used a fat quarter for my project.
  • Scissors
  • Tape
  • Magnets--I use the silver colored power craft magnets from Hobby Lobby. (Find them here.)  These work better than the black magnets, which are not as strong.
  • Super Glue--I found this works better than hot glue as it lasts longer and holds stronger. 

How to make a Makeup Magnet Frame:

1.  Cut your sheet metal to fit inside your frame using your tin snips or metal sheers.  I used the paper insert inside my frame as a stencil.  Make sure it fits and cut to adjust.

  
2.  Iron out the wrinkles and cut your fabric to have at least an extra inch of fabric on all sides of the sheet metal.  Lay the sheet of metal in the center of the wrong side of your fabric piece.


3.  Tape all sides of the fabric in towards the center like you are wrapping a present.  It's easier when you tape fabric to metal, not fabric to fabric.  Cut your fabric smaller if you need to.  Make sure to pull the fabric tight--you don't want bunching to happen on the front side.  I taped the top down first, then pulled the bottom up tight.  Repeat with right and left sides.


4.  Place the wrapped sheet metal face down inside your frame.  I put the glass that came with the frame on the backside of the wrapped sheet metal to make the frame tight.  This will also allow you to reuse your frame as a picture frame again later if needed.


5.  Your frame should look like this.  You should be able to touch fabric, not glass.  If the glass has been laid down first, switch it around.


6.  Now it's time to glue your magnets to the back of your makeup.  Using a small amount of super glue, put a dab in the center of the back of your makeup case.  Place the magnet on top of the glue and allow to dry according to package directions.  It is important that you allow the glue to dry.  Don't get giddy and start putting your makeup on the frame.  It will leave glue marks and possibly glue your makeup to the fabric!


Some makeup has an extra piece of paper you can lift off for more information.  Take it from me, you will want to rip off this piece of paper.  Otherwise after awhile, it will rip itself off and your makeup will be hanging from the extra paper.


7.  Once the glue dries, you can start adding your makeup to the frame!  


The fun part about this project is that you can switch out the fabric as often as you like.  You could use scrapbook paper as well, but the fabric allows you to wash it if it gets dirty.  You can hang the frame from the wall to save space on your vanity or sink.  

Post a pic of your makeup magnet frame if you make one!  I'd love to see your project!

No comments:

Post a Comment